One of my dreams as a youngster was to start a school whose curriculum was truly based in the arts and in self-expression. So for me, this would mean a core of basic subjects - Science, Math, History and Literature, Foreign Language. All of these courses would heavily emphasize reading, writing, and student presentations. So this might mean that each week in your science class you would examine the science section of the newspaper and present an article to the class. In math, you would learn to read and understand proofs. Literature and History could almost be combined into one course to give greater context to the work being read.
I don’t know how this would be scheduled into the curriculum, but the other part of the day would be dedicated to the arts - creative writing, art, music, drama. All things that allow children to express themselves, think freely, and grow as individuals. Not to mention that the arts almost always reinforce information that is found in those core classes. And as a student, these were always my favorite classes because I could do what I wanted (to an extent). Even if a student didn’t intend to be employed in the arts later in life, I think this sort of education k-8 would be highly beneficial because students would learn to think for themselves earlier on.
If you could start your own school, how would you structure it?
- meowgusta likes this
- lenasavenkova reblogged this from contrabassic
- lenasavenkova likes this
- halcyon-ia likes this
- charlotte-sometimess likes this
- 70-million likes this
- plasticorc answered: I wouldn’t put any desks or chairs in the rooms (for high school). I wold focus on math as an art and not even try to “prepare” kids in it.
- jajachaik likes this
- mysomeplace likes this
- alteredcarbon58 likes this
- biotic-sex-god likes this
- rubixburd likes this
- fangirldiaries121 answered: I’d love a school where the arts were mandatory for all four years (dance, music, visual, and writing) and then math + sci were optional.
- 4everandever-babe likes this
- educationworld likes this
- cmoncase likes this
- losbuitres likes this
- maxismaithe likes this
- adismalscientist answered: I like the way you think……but I would add in a nap/meditation time as well
- unpollodramatico likes this
- lotuswingsyoga likes this
- This was featured in #Education
- contrabassic posted this